Self Drive in Taiwan
- In Taiwan, the driver is located at left side, if you are coming from the country with driver at the right side, you will need to get used to the operation of the vehicle, especially the wipers, turning signal etc.
- Pay attention to the rental contract. If accident happens, such as car crash or damage caused by others, please call police at once, otherwise the insurance will not cover. If the responsibility is renter himself, the renter will be responsible for all damage repairs.
- The is no toll station on the free way. The toll is calculated automatically by e-tag system. The cost is approximately 1.2 TWD per kilometer. The rental car company will calculate the toll fees when you return the car.
- Parking fees are ticked manually if you park at street, you can pay at any convenient stores. The parking rate is around 40-60 TWD per hour.
- Motorcycles are major transportation in Taiwan, please keep safe distance
Recommendation for Taiwan self drive
Two routes are recommended. If time is sufficient, you can experience east and west Taiwan, it is suggested you get to know the distance before hand.
- West Taiwan mountain view route
Route 21 and route 18 will take you from Sun moon lake to Alishan, the scenery on route 21 is excellent while driving on the edge of mountain. The cherry blooms in the spring make it more desirable. This is a must route for selfdriving.
WEST Taipei – Tao yuan – Hischu – Miaoli – Taichung – Chunghwa- chiayi – Tainan – Kaohsiung – pingtung – kenting
- East side ocean view route
Route 11 and route 9 will take you travel along the east coast. Start from Hengchun to taitung, hwalien and back to Yilan, total distance about 400 km (if you start from south). The road is built along with the ocean coast and you will enjoy the view with one side ocean and the other side mountain. A perfect route for self driving.
East, Taipei – Yilan – Hwalien – Taitung